Tiny green peppers stuffed with rice, herbs, and meat better known as biber dolması (bee-BEYR' dole-MAH'-suh)–are one of the most popular. They are easier to make than other stuffed and wrapped dishes because the peppers don't need much preparation. Just remove the stems with your thumb and they're ready for stuffing. Just before eating, remember to have it with yogurt!
- Prep Time - 15 mins
- Cook Time - 35 min
- Total Time - 50 mins
- Servings: 6 people
- 6 bell peppers
- 1/2 pound ground beef 93% lean
- 1 cup rice
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 small tomato, chopped (and be sure to use the juice!)
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 small bunch mint, chopped (or 1 tbsp dried)
- 3 tbsp oregano, chopped (or 1 1/2 tsp dried)
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- Start by taking a knife and going around the edge of the stem, making a hole. Dig out the stem, ribs, and seeds from the peppers as best you can. Set aside.
- To a medium-sized bowl, add the washed rice, ground beef, and all the seasonings. With your hands, squeeze all of the filling ingredients together until they come together somewhat uniformly. Spoon in the filling ingredients in the peppers, pressing with the back of the spoon along the way. Begin to line your peppers all around the edge of the pot you’ll make them in, and stand them upright.
- Cut a cherry tomato in half and add to the top of each pepper. To the bottom of your pan, add 1/3 cup of water. Also, cut two or three slices of a lemon and squeeze the juice over the top, as well as a tablespoon of oil. (If your beef is higher in fat content than the 93% lean that I used, omit this step.)
- Boil gently for around 20-25 minutes over a low flame, making sure that the water doesn’t dry from the bottom of the pan. Let rest for 10 minutes before opening the lid.