Zeytinyağlı dishes (dishes containing lots of olive oil) are very common in Turkish cuisine were different, often seasonal, vegetables are cooked in olive oil and served at room temperature with freshly squeezed lemon.
- Prep Time - 20 mins
- Cook Time - 30 min
- Total Time - 50 mins
- Servings: 6 people
- ½ kilo green beans, washed, trimmed and cut into approx 2 inch pieces
- 2 large tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced into half moons
- 1 green capsicum pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped into large pieces (optional)
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to season
- Wedge of lemon to garnish
- Add the olive oil to a large saucepan and gently heat.
- Now add your onion and capsicum pepper.
- Sauté for around 5 minutes until the onion and pepper start to soften.
- Now add your green beans, salt and pepper.
- Stir around until the beans are coated in oil and they are mixed with the pepper and onions.
- Now add your chopped tomato, sugar and sliced garlic and stir those in, too.
- Boil some water and add just enough hot water to cover your beans.
- Bring it all to the boil and then reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Simmer for 25-30 minutes until your beans have gone soft.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool before serving.
- For each serving, squeeze a wedge of fresh lemon juice over the top before eating.