Looking for a dish to cook for your vegan friends? Well these healthy lentil köfte are light yet filling and taste great when drizzled with fresh lemon juice and served on a bed of lettuce.
- Prep Time - 30 mins
- Cook Time - 25 min
- Total Time - 55 mins
- Servings: 4 people
- 1 glass red lentils
- 1 glass fine bulgur wheat
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 bunch spring onions (around 5 or 6), chopped
- ½ bunch parsley, finely chopped
- ½ bunch dill, finely chopped
- 1 dessert spoonful of tomato puree or red pepper paste
- 1 dessert spoonful olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried mint
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- In a large saucepan, gently heat your olive oil.
Now add your medium-sized chopped onion and your glass of lentils.
- Stir for a couple of minutes before adding 4 glasses of water.
Turn the heat to high and bring to the boil.
- Add your tomato paste and stir until dissolved. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the water is reduced by half and the lentils are almost soft.
- Whilst your lentils are simmering, add your cumin, paprika and chilli.
- When your water has reduced add your glass of fine bulgur wheat, stir to mix everything and remove the pan from the heat.
- Seal with a lid and leave to stand for 15 minutes.
- Now remove the lid and give your mixture a stir.
- Add your spring onion, mint, parsley and dill and mix in.
- Do a taste test and add more seasoning or spice if required.
- Pull the leaves whole from your lettuce.
- Wash and arrange on a large serving platter.
- Now take small handfuls of your lentil köfte mix and form into rough torpedo shapes.
- Place each one on your plate and arrange the lemon around them.